Wednesday 6 August 2014

90-Day Bible Challenge: Reflections from the Desert Wanderings (Numbers 1-36)


On Signs

I've been thinking of all the signs God kept giving since Genesis. And I've been thinking of why God kept giving them because He doesn't really need a sign. God never forgets; He doesn't need to be reminded. But I think the signs were actually for humans. It's to remind us every time we see the signs that God never forgets, He always remembers. God never leaves us, He's always with us. Just like the rainbow, which has been there since Noah’s time and is still here until now, God never forgets. His love never fails and never gives up on us. Sometimes I feel like I need a sign to know that He's still with me or that He still loves me. But I forget that regardless of the signs being there or not, He's always with us and He always loves us
-        Mario WP

God gives signs. But we should not rely on them alone. I remembered this verse from Mark 8:12 about asking for signs. It reminds me not to go with feelings when praying as well. Sometimes after I pray, I don't feel anything. It's as if I prayed with my head and not with my heart. It’s as if I’m not getting anything. But I was told that faith is not a feeling, so I shouldn’t rely on it.
-        Pat P

On Offerings and Sacrifices (Numbers 15, 28, 29)

There were too many instructions about offerings and sacrifices in the book of Numbers. I was thinking, if Christ didn’t die for our sins, I’ll probably be bringing doves, rams, and bulls to the tabernacle every day!
Reminded me how it was back home when we would just do the "motions" of being Catholic like going to Mass on Sunday, putting something in the collection box, etc. without actually knowing the meaning behind it.
Given all these "instructions", I can't really blame the people in Jesus' time to just be too caught up with the "motions". This reminds me of what Jesus said in Mt 9:13, I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
Notice how they have a guilt offering, a sin offering, a burnt offering, and even a sacrifice of wellbeing offering! And Jesus telling us that He desires mercy not sacrifice strongly tells us that He is already the ultimate sacrifice. That no matter what we give or offer, it won't be enough because He has offered Himself already for our sins.
But despite that, because of that overwhelming love that He has shown us, we are simply invited to offer ourselves to Him, not because of guilt or for restitution for our sins, but as a response to that love.
-        Pat P

The law of giving sacrifice struck me. Sometimes when I give alms, I prefer to just give money and then expect everything's fine already. But upon reading the law, I realized that giving an offering to God is not the same as dumping stuff on him, or giving while thinking "I give a lot already/I give good stuff, so God should be pleased with me". Rather, it's about giving an offering to God while putting our love and effort in it, with the heart and humility of a servant who's serving his master or like a prodigal son who wants to repay his father.
When we're giving offerings to God, whether it's through our ministry or our wealth, we shouldn't think of giving a lot so God will be pleased by the amount of stuff we give, while at the same time trying to avoid any hassle and just want to get it over with. Instead, just like in the Bible where God asked His people to prepare His offerings carefully, we should do so while putting our effort and love, thinking not to get things done quickly, but being careful and caring at what we do to ensure that it truly pleases God. That extra effort and the sincerity that we show when we're giving offerings make a big difference, maybe not to humans, but certainly to God. Same as the Cain and Abel story I guess.
-        Mario WP

I remember the story somewhere in Matthew about those two people giving alms. The other gave a lot, while the woman gave so little, but she gave all that she had. And it was what mattered.
I never found it difficult to give, because it was easy to give when you "have". Until one time during Lent, I was prompted to give all that I had. I got scared, initially not trusting in His providence. But I closed my eyes and gave everything I had that time. And it was amazing how God's providence shone the whole week. Even when I had nothing, something would happen and I’d still have something to eat, etc.
It is in giving that I got to trust more in His providence and saw amazing things He can do.
-        Pat P

That's the one thing I've always struggled with. I don't think I can ever give all that I have like that, that's why when I heard Fritz share his story, I was stunned as well.
I guess the problem is that it's hard for me to tell whether it's actually God prompting me or is it just my own thought that I just want to be different by doing so even though God never asks for it. I guess I'm just afraid if I've given everything but turns out it's not God asking me, then I would have lost everything for nothing.
-        Mario WP

Do you really believe that? That God will allow you to lose everything for nothing?
One day, sometime around mid-May, I finished cleaning the house and was gleaming with pride seeing how shiny and clean everything is (again, OCD haha). And all of a sudden, there was that inviting voice saying "Are you willing to leave all of this for me?”
I felt anxious. And then I paused at that moment and I just prayed that if it is Your will Lord God, please grant me the strength and courage to do Your will.
Did I stand up and leave everything that very day? No.
I believe that if God has called us for that, He will make it happen.
It is more of a welcoming, calm, invitation. Not a dictating, forceful voice.
And if ever that day comes (and if it is really God's will), I know I can draw strength from Levi and the apostles, who left everything and followed Jesus. I can draw strength from the Old Testament characters like Noah, Abram, etc. who just allowed themselves to be moved by God.
Oh, and let us not forget Job as well who lost literally everything he had.
Don't get me wrong. He might not even want me to leave everything behind. Maybe it was a test of faith. There is a tendency for us to overthink God's plan when we can never have the same understanding that He does.
-        Pat P

Does God Change His Mind? (Numbers 14)

In exodus and numbers, I have read a couple of instances wherein Moses was able to change God's mind in regards to dealing with wrath to the Israelites. Does God really change His mind? I'm a bit confused. I always believed that God never change.
-        Pat P

So we know that God knows everything at all times so to say that God changes His mind means He would know that He was going to change His mind, which means He really isn't changing His mind if he decided to do something - all along from the human perspective it only appears that He had. God does not change His mind. Because God knows everything, He knew that if He threatened destruction, Moses would intercede. God does not change His mind. Back in Genesis, when God asked Adam where He was, it didn't mean God didn't know where Adam was in the garden. He put himself in a human perspective to be able to communicate with Adam and in the same way the Moses issue which makes us think God changes his mind.
-        Elizabeth E

The Census of Israel and Moses (Numbers 1, 26)

Is it just me or is everyone else impressed by the Israelites census? Imagine what Moses could do with all that data! Reminds me of a quote from one of my university Stats lectures: in God we trust, but all else must bring data.
-        Surath F

Reading through the census they had at the beginning of Numbers (and trying to do the math) makes me in awe of Moses. It was the same insecure Moses who had so much excuses to God. And I now see how that "yes" he said to God resulted to. He's responsible to 603,550 people (plus the 22,000 levites) before God.
Amazing how this man who made all these excuses to not go to Egypt and speak to pharaoh was able to gain the respect of the people and led, subdued, counselled, and prepared for war that much number of people in the wilderness.
-        Pat P

Moses had such a profound legacy that when the true Saviour came in the form of Jesus Christ, the Pharisees had such a hard time accepting Him.
-        Surath F

The way I see it, prophets were never appreciated during their times or in their own places. When Moses was still alive, Israel tried to rebel against him so many times, saying that he didn't have the right to rule over them. In Jesus’ time, the people referred back to Moses even though when he was alive they didn't actually listen to him as well.
I guess that's the human nature portrayed in the Bible - the ones who can never be satisfied with what they have. They refused to hear the truth, not because they thought Moses was wrong, but because of their pride and the hardness of their hearts. Same with Jesus as well.
And if we think of our own lives, we are not better off compared to them. I can remember many occasions where I rejected someone and God because of my pride or the hardness of my heart. It reminds me of what Jesus said "learn from me for I am gentle and humble in heart".
I need to constantly remind myself to be gentle and humble in heart, so that I don't reject the truth or God's soft prompting for my pride or the hardness of my heart.
-        Mario WP

No comments:

Post a Comment