Wednesday 25 February 2015

Lenten Reflections - Week 1, Feb 25 Wed

by Kenny Soosai


Readings: Deut 9:13-21, Heb 3:12-19, John 2:23-3:15

Gospel: While he was in Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, many began to believe in his name when they saw the signs he was doing. But Jesus would not trust himself to them because he knew them all, and did not need anyone to testify about human nature. He himself understood it well.

Now there was a Pharisee named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. He came to Jesus at night and said to him, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God, for no one can do these signs that you are doing unless God is with him." Jesus answered and said to him, "Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above."

Nicodemus said to him, "How can a person once grown old be born again? Surely he cannot reenter his mother's womb and be born again, can he?" Jesus answered, "Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit. What is born of flesh is flesh and what is born of spirit is spirit. Do not be amazed that I told you, 'You must be born from above.'

The wind blows where it wills, and you can hear the sound it makes, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes; so it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit." Nicodemus answered and said to him, "How can this happen?" Jesus answered and said to him, "You are the teacher of Israel and you do not understand this? Amen, amen, I say to you, we speak of what we know and we testify to what we have seen, but you people do not accept our testimony. If I tell you about earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you about heavenly things? No one has gone up to heaven except the one who has come down from heaven, the Son of Man.

And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life."

Reflection: In the Gospel, the recurring theme of faith or lack of faith continues. At the beginning of the passage, we read about the ones who witnessed the miracles but who do not understand it. For these people, faith depends on what they can see.

Then we are introduced to Nicodemus who is a member of the Sanhedrin (Jewish Court). He comes to Jesus under the cover of night, which could mean that he did not want to be openly seen with Jesus. This could also represent spiritual blindness. Jesus then attempts to explain spiritual matters to Nicodemus and about the need to be born again from above (Baptism). Jesus also goes on to refer to the bronze serpent in the Old Testament (Num 21:4-9). Just as the serpent had the power to heal when it was lifted up in the desert, Jesus alludes to His death on the cross which has the power to heal and save those who believe.

For me as a Christian, faith does not always come easily. I tend to want to believe with my eyes rather than my heart. I want to see how God will make a way for me rather than trust His provision along the journey. I say to God, “Do this for me first and when I see the miracle then I will trust and follow”. But when I care to listen, I hear God say “Follow me and I will provide everything that you need”.

A Step to Consider: Take a moment to be silent and gaze upon the cross. As we struggle with the difficulties in modern life, the stress at work and the demands of family life, do we try to overcome by our own strengths or do we turn to God in prayer? Where do we go to seek a solution?


We can trust that the One who gave His life on the cross for you and me only wants the best for us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment