Monday 27 August 2012

Ministry Does Not Equal to Intimacy with God

By Jack Chui

Today (or yesterday if I this gets posted on Monday) was the probably the busiest day in ministry I have ever been involved in. Pushing off from home at 9am, I was coordinating a BBQ at church, stopped for a coffee with friends for an hour before leading a group out to the detention centre for Outreach in the afternoon, then finished with evening mass and helping Jean out in her music ministry. That last one was optional and I got home at 10pm not exhausted but with enough energy to start writing this post.

I entered today having read this short article which a good friend sent me the day before:
http://lp.willowcreek.com/WCA-Blog/August-2012/Craig-Groeschel-on-Investing-in-Your-Personal-Deve

And I believe he's right - Ministry does not equal intimacy with God. I had known this for some time now being in active ministry for a few years and having experienced it first hand but the article made me stop and think about it without quickly pressing the 'Archive' button in gmail. Initially like others, I entered ministry as a seemingly good way to grow my faith in God. So why then do I put myself under so much stress and trouble in so many ministries? (I'm a leader in STAY, a leader in Outreach, a leader for a Tuesday cell group and help out with almost everything during mass and around mass for St. Augustine's)

I think its a combination of my love for the Church and that I love to give. The Church has given me so much - most importantly my faith, and I want to share that faith and joy with more people. Its almost like I don't really care about myself so much because its more important to me that others are better than me. But still, I should care about myself, because I have to be able to love myself first to be able to love others well.

My personal relationship with God is virtually non-existent. Its scary admitting this because I'm in active ministry but I think its kind of true. A lot of what I know about God is in my head, and not so much in my heart. God seems really real and present when I really need him in tough times, but when tough times are over, He fades away - or more that I make Him fade away. Before I started being active in ministry, my prayer life was a lot better than what it is now, and its a struggle at the moment.

For me, its seems to be the right time in my life to give a lot of my time to ministry. I have a stable job, financially well off, study commitments are finished, live on my own near the church and am single/uncommitted. I'm in the right place and time for this sort of work and I should make the most of it before things come around in my life to make it more complicated. This season in my life may not last so long adding to the desire of doing what I can while I can.

I was big receiver of ministry in the past and continue to receive it but in a distant way - so I'm still being fed spiritually. In those times I have been formed and I would say not quite enough because other people in those groups are spiritually much stronger than me and yet I've been thrown into quite active ministry. I am actually quite unqualified especially with the weak prayer life and relationship with God that I have to be able to lead church ministries. Yet I still do...

Sometimes, I/we could be the only person by which another person that we meet could experience God. Today at the detention centre, the refugees wanted some prayer and few of the visitors want to pray over a refugee let alone know how to actually do one. I'm not that experienced at doing it and its not exactly a task which everyone's going to put their hands up to do so its the choice of saying an 'incompetent' prayer or not praying for them at all. I have learnt to just do it, even though I'm not qualified.

I don't think anyone is ever ready for big things in life - like a new job, dating, getting married and having kids. Its hard to be fully prepared for these things - many times what ends up happening is so different to our expectations. I think its like that with ministry as well. Who is ever qualified to lead ministry? Its something that's learned by just doing, observing and just being involved. I guess I'm a very slow learner... I give what little I have, and hope that God will multiply it like Jesus did with the 5 loaves and 2 fish.

I think its amazing that God can still work wonders as He did today through my failures and insufficient qualification. I'm always looking out for the seemingly weak people who seem to have nothing to offer and seeing God do amazing things through them. So while I haven't really grown so much personally having been so involved in ministry, what I have witness is the awesome power of God to still work through me. I pray that those around me, can continue to minister to me - even though they don't think they are qualified, God is so much greater that He thinks otherwise =)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest admission and sharing, Jack:) What I recently learnt from a Praise and Worship workshop is that when we do things for God (e.g., ministry etc), we could be going with a state of anger and bitterness having just, for example, been selfish to our own family member, still, because we are working in God's name, God lends us the graces in that moment. But the important thing the speaker highlighted is He LENDS. The speaker went on to say that it is dangerous to serve God in this manner, where we keep imploring the "last minute" graces of God, without allowing Him to develop and nurture our own daily spiritual relationship and walk with Him. It's much like how a married couple who speaks about marriage... if they do not spend enough time with each other, nurturing their own relationship with each other, but they are teaching others how to love and be in relationships, God might grant them the grace and inspiration to speak on His behalf in those talks, but it is extremely dangerous to keep going this way, without the foundations of a deep and meaningful relationship with each other.

    I completely agree with you that it is amazing how God doesn't call the qualified, but qualifies the called. It is extremely humbling to realise that our little gifts are enough for God... we are enough for God. This is a truth that we must claim. Another truth we must claim is that God implores us to spend time with Him as Mary did, rather than to busy ourselves with much like Martha (Luke 10: 38-42). It is uncomfortable for Martha to sit with Jesus, like Mary does, and not do anything. Because one of the things about Martha, is that she derives her identity and self-worth from DOING, rather than BEING. But it is an incredibly overwhelming truth to know that God loves us for us, not what we can do for Him. This doesn't mean that we stop ministry work to hear that. But if our ministry work does get in the way of us realising this fundamental truth of who we are, then perhaps we need to slow down, take a pause, to hear these words and these truth again. We need to dare to step out of our comfort zones (feeling safe in doing things) in order to grow in our faith - where we trust that God will take care of everything and first, He wants to take care of you and I. To think that we do not need Him to take care of us, will mean that we can function on our own strength, without God, and that means that we deem God irrelevant to us - it can also, dangerously, lead to arrogance where we start to think we are better than others, and so we need to bring God to others, but do not need God ourselves.

    I must say that personally I experience this struggle too. Often, I feel that I am okay and do not need to sit with Jesus, but have enough strength to keep going. But then when I find myself starting to get resentful with others who are not giving as much as I think they "should", when I start to complain "why does everything fall on me" (and feel a little more self-important, as if I am so needed and everything will crumble without me), then I realise that I am in a dangerous territory and for the sake of myself AND others, I need to return to sit with Jesus... to remember that HE is the one in control. Even if I die tomorrow, He will take care of this world and His children here. I need to "waste time" and be uncomfortable in the sitting with God, in order to remember that He is God, not I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for ministering to me Jean! I can feel myself sometimes falling into that resentful trap. His grace is keeping me going...
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete