Sunday 30 September 2012

Eyes on Jesus

By Jack Chui

Last Saturday was the AFL grand final - the climax of the other religion here in Melbourne =)

I'm a Sydney Swans supporter only because I grew up in Sydney but I didn't watch the game because I have a dumb belief that if I watch it, it won't help my team and they'll start losing. Besides, its more nerve racking when I care a bit more about the result this time...

So I followed the progress of the game via blog on a good news website and was pleasantly surprised at the result of the game, when after the first quarter, the Hawks looked on paper like they were just going to trash Sydney (another reason not to watch the game). In the end, because the result was so brilliant to me, I should have watched the game as it was in the end, the best grand final to date (ok - I'm a little biased - just abit =)

I watched some of the highlights at the end of the game, and I stopped at one particular highlight. It wasn't a goal or anything so fantastic as that but just a mark (a player catching a ball on the full).
This moment took place early on in game when the Swans (red and white team) were showing signs of being beaten at just about every aspect of the game. Hannebery who caught the ball was incredibly courageous to catch the ball against a bigger opposing player going for exactly the same thing. What drew me was not that he caught the ball, but that he did not take his eyes off the ball.

I am reminded also by this example to keep my eyes on Jesus and not to be distracted by the other things going on around me as fearsome as they are. Hannebery caught the ball against a taller opponent because he did not take his eyes off the ball. He needed courage for that, to not be distracted by the obstacles, potential pain and failure. He gave himself for the team without so much regard for himself.

The words 'Keep my eyes fixed on Jesus' spoke to me a few months ago and the video reminded me of that time when those words spoke to me. It was a time when I was wondering about my future partner. What kind of person should I be looking for? How do I know what I want is what God wants and is best for me? Is it someone that I know or am still to meet? How do I know if she is the right person for me?

It was all confusing because I didn't really have the answers for the questions and there were many possible answers. But somehow the words came to me through all the noise and thoughts - and that was to keep my eyes on Jesus. That was something I could do and focus on to help me navigate through the uncertainty and unknown answers (if there is such an answer to those questions). If I keep my eyes on Jesus, and continue with His work (win the football game) then all the 'answers' will fall in place in time.

There could have been other things I could write about the game as it was a very close game with the lead changing many times all the way through the game leaving the winner in doubt to the very end. The Swans fought courageously, each giving themselves with little regard for their bodies towards the goal of winning the game. They kept fighting even though they were down in the scoreboard with more work that the other team to do just to catch up --- they never gave up. I'll leave it at that, but I'm fascinated at times like this how something as 'meaningless' (using this word a bit lightly because I can't think of anything better) as a football game can teach us so much about God and the life He gave us on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment