Saturday 15 September 2012

What Do You Want to be Rich In?

By Jean Cheng

This year is one where I have and will continue to be travelling a lot for weddings. It is so hard to save money when I have to keep buying plane tickets, when I want to express my blessings and joy to married couples, and welcome new born babies. Every time I look at my inability to save money this year, fears start cropping in... fears that I will not have enough money for myself to buy my own home, and establish my own future.

When these fears arise, I find myself asking whether I would have it any other way. Would I rather not be there for these friends I have grown up with? Would I rather have that money in my bank and miss  partaking in their joy and having that memory forever imprinted in my heart? At these moments, I always feel comforted because I realise that choosing between financial wealth and relationship wealth, it is the latter I choose.

Of course, it is not easy to always make that choice. And sometimes it really isn't so clear cut. There must be prudence/responsibility in how I handle my money. But that question, 'Would I have it any other way' always helps me know that I am freely making this choice and any sacrifices that come along with it. It helps me to love my choice because I would have it no other way.

When I die, the richness of my life is not going to be measured by the numbers in my bank account and acquisitions. It will be determined by the richness of life experiences, love given and received, and hearts held. May God always remind me of this and lead me on the path to fullness of life (John 10: 10).

No comments:

Post a Comment