Wednesday 10 September 2014

90-Day Bible Challenge: Reflections from the Royal Kingdom (1 & 2 Samuel, 1 Kings)


Of Fathers and Sons (1 Samuel 2:11-36)

I noticed a similarity between Eli and his two sons and Samuel and his two sons. Both Eli and Samuel were good priests of the Lord. But both their sons, although they became priests as well and judged the people of Israel, they were wicked in their ways. This reminded me of what Kenny told us about prioritising family over ministry. Yes, Eli and especially Samuel were good servants of the Lord, but they weren't able to effectively pass the faith on to the next generation (which were their sons). And as what Jeff Cavins said, it only takes one generation to not pass the faith to the next generation to grow a society of lukewarm Catholics. This is also similar to what happened to the Israelites when they were in Kadesh Barnea. The generation who entered the promised land did not know God and thus prostituted themselves to the false gods.
-        Pat P

I find it interesting in the first book of Samuel, how the Lord curses the House of Eli because Eli knows his sons are misbehaving against the Lord’s wishes and Eli does not react against his own family. It speaks to me because I empathize with Eli. It is our family and those we care about the most we find hardest to speak against.
It makes me think of what it means to be a family. To the immediate eye a family is a father, mother, and children. But the reality is that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ. And as a child whose definition of home was so fluid, I find my Christian family defines me as much as my physical family, racial background, and cultural affiliations.
Eli's inability to rebuke and redirect his family brings down the wrath of The Lord.
And so we must be watchful and observant to ourselves and each of our brothers and sisters in Christ. This is important because wherever there is light, shadow will follow. We must be present in the lives of one another to ensure our actions are not based on sin and do indeed glorify God.
-        Surath F

False Idols (1 Samuel 7:3)

This reminded me of what Fritz and Fr. Michael always tell us regarding throwing out any idols or items that are not in keeping with the faith (ie. oujia boards, charms, etc). I've heard some scary stories about evil coming from keeping those items in the house.
-        Pat P

The power of the Ark to bring about the destruction of the Philistines also speaks to me. It reminds me the power of God to destroy all false idols. Just as the ancients were presented with many false idols, we today are presented with the false idolatry of money, power and flesh to name a few. When we let God not just into our minds, but most importantly into our hearts, He destroys these false idols. In so doing, He resurrects our hearts with His will.
-        Surath F

Israel Demands for a King (1 Samuel 8)

I find the passage about people asking for a king interesting. As Samuel prays about this, the Lord responds saying to obey the people, "it is not you they have rejected; they have rejected me from ruling them" (1 Samuel 8:7). This is a turning point of Israel's history. The sovereignty of The Lord is basic to Israel's existence. Now we are seeing an earthly king. A large reason for this is to keep the Philistines at bay.
To me it emphasizes the inability of the Israelites to put faith in the infinite God that delivered them from Egypt, focusing rather on a finite monarchy. As Samuel indicates, this finite monarchy comes with the shortcomings of humanity such as tithes, conscription, and so on.
-        Surath F

David and Jonathan (1 Samuel 18)

David was a king, a musician, singer, a man after Gods heart, an animal lover, and a war hero to name a few. It's no wonder many women were after him.  I'm thinking if David were alive in modern times, he will be my celebrity crush!
Jonathan and David's friendship was truly amazing. It's something I never tire reading about. How Jonathan and David instantly bonded. We often know that to be best friends with someone usually stems from having common interests. When I read their story, I feel they shared a common bond, which was their love for Israel, and I am pretty sure as best friends, they would have talked about God too.
I find Jonathan extremely remarkable as well. A humble prince. He was not jealous of David's success but instead rejoiced so much so that he put in his own priestly robe and armour on David. Jonathan could have instantly recognized the light in David and knew that God was with him that he was able to defeat the Philistines.
Also, I like how in 1 Samuel 20, Jonathan stays a loyal friend and makes a promise to David to protect him from his own father. I also see courage in Jonathan how he stood up to his father for the sake of his friend. He knows that God has chosen David as king. Where his father seems to oppose God's will, Jonathan seems to accept that he will not be the next king and shows support for the one that God has chosen by confronting his father when he asks what David has done that he should be put to death.
It's a blessing to have a true friend like that and I earnestly believed that God had a part in the friendship David and Jonathan shared. They were more than friends but were as close as brothers. Then there is the part were Jonathan tells David that he must run for his life and they cry knowing that they will probably not see each other again. That is so heartbreakingly beautiful.
-        Elizabeth E

David’s Sin and Nathan’s Condemnation (2 Samuel 11-12)

I liked the part when the prophet Nathan confronted King David about having Uriah killed. How he made a parallel example of the rich man with many flocks and the poor man having only this one sheep that he loves most.
Uriah was a very righteous man. He wouldn’t even go to his house and lay with his wife because he couldn’t bear the thought of being comfortable in his own house while his brothers are fighting at the frontlines. And here comes David with a lot of wives and concubine, thinking he could commit sin and outsmart Uriah and the Lord.
The initial sin he committed (adultery) was followed up with another, even graver sin (murder). Looking back at it makes me wonder what the wise thing he could’ve done after he got Bathsheba pregnant. Could he have gone back to the Lord and consulted the Lord with what he needs to do instead of relying on his own power, wisdom and scheming on Uriah's death, would it have been a different ending?
I felt really sad with the story. It made me reflect on my own as well. How many times have I thought I could outsmart God and get away with it? Or rather, how many times have I failed to humble myself to God and in the end, compounding one sin after the other?
-        Pat P

David’s Forgiving Heart (2 Samuel 14:25-33)

I'm quite amazed how David was able to forgive Saul and Absalom. I mean, these are people who are dear to him, the other being his son too. Both these men wanted David dead. It would've hurt him somehow that these men whom he trusted have betrayed him. And yet, David forgave and was merciful towards them. He didn’t kill Saul when he had the chance to and he told his soldiers not to kill Absalom.
I'm more like Joab. I saw that Absalom would be beneficial to the king initially and so he schemed so David would take Absalom back. But when Absalom proved to be trouble in the end, he killed him despite David's orders not to. And how he reacted to David's grief over Absalom. Yeah, it was selfish.
-        Pat P

No comments:

Post a Comment