Tuesday 30 December 2014

Daily Reflection, 29 December 2014 - Sufferings

by Jean Nathalia


1 John 2:3-11

We can be sure that we know God
only by keeping his commandments.
Anyone who says, ‘I know him’,
and does not keep his commandments,
is a liar,
refusing to admit the truth.
But when anyone does obey what he has said,
God’s love comes to perfection in him.
We can be sure that we are in God
only when the one who claims to be living in him
is living the same kind of life as Christ lived.
My dear people,
this is not a new commandment that I am writing to tell you,
but an old commandment
that you were given from the beginning,
the original commandment which was the message brought to you.
Yet in another way, what I am writing to you,
and what is being carried out in your lives as it was in his,
is a new commandment;
because the night is over
and the real light is already shining.
Anyone who claims to be in the light
but hates his brother
is still in the dark.
But anyone who loves his brother is living in the light
and need not be afraid of stumbling;
unlike the man who hates his brother and is in the darkness,
not knowing where he is going,
because it is too dark to see.
____________________

Luke 2:22-35

When the day came for them to be purified as laid down by the Law of Moses, the parents of Jesus took him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord – observing what stands written in the Law of the Lord: Every first-born male must be consecrated to the Lord – and also to offer in sacrifice, in accordance with what is said in the Law of the Lord, a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons. Now in Jerusalem there was a man named Simeon. He was an upright and devout man; he looked forward to Israel’s comforting and the Holy Spirit rested on him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death until he had set eyes on the Christ of the Lord. Prompted by the Spirit he came to the Temple and when the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the Law required, he took him into his arms and blessed God; and he said:

‘Now, Master, you can let your servant go in peace,
just as you promised;
because my eyes have seen the salvation
which you have prepared for all the nations to see,
a light to enlighten the pagans
and the glory of your people Israel.’

As the child’s father and mother stood there wondering at the things that were being said about him, Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, ‘You see this child: he is destined for the fall and for the rising of many in Israel, destined to be a sign that is rejected – and a sword will pierce your own soul too – so that the secret thoughts of many may be laid bare.’
___________________


A sword will pierce your own soul too – so that the secret thoughts of many may be laid bare

I recently met an old friend and when I started talking about my worries, he smiled. In his smile, it was like he was saying, “What’s new? You will always find something new to worry about”. I smiled sheepishly and stopped.

Why do worries constantly fill my mind and consume my energies? I know that whenever I worry, I become more self-focused, and unable to be present to the needs of others. When I worry, I am unable to be enjoy life for the many quiet gifts it presents. When I worry, I become more impatient, angry, and I frown. When I worry, I even look uglier – more haggard, less welcoming, less warm, and very tired looking.

What am I actually afraid of?

I think I’ve gotten some clues from reading today’s Gospel. I can never comprehend how Mary accepted her “fate” that a sword would pierce her soul (i.e., she would suffer great pain for the sake of others’ reunion with God). How could she go on in life knowing that she would have to suffer greatly? Was she not fearful? Was she not angry at the “fate” of her call in life?

If I was told that I would suffer greatly in future, I would live in a constant state of fear and desolation. What a miserable life! I do not like to suffer! This may explain why I am always worrying, for I am constantly thinking of ways to prevent future suffering – by hoarding, by calculating, by driving myself to work harder and learn faster so that I will not lose any competitive edge, and so on.

Unlike me, Mary accepted her call in life to suffer in order that great fruits will be born. Maybe she was fearful. Maybe she was afraid that she would not be able to withstand such suffering. But she accepted her cross in hope that her God would carry her through it. Unlike me, she realized that everything was connected – suffering is connected to great fruits, and such great fruits are worth bearing in this world.

Indeed, her suffering has led to a profound change for more than 2000 years. Because she suffered in order to bring Jesus into this world and support Him in His passion and mission, we are now able to speak directly to God as sinners, rather than need to rely on the holiest people to intercede for us. Mary’s suffering has made a profound impact in my life. I am able to have a personal and intimate relationship with God, and not merely look to Him from a distance.

This gives me hope that whatever sufferings life gives me will never be in vain. They will be opportunities for me to have a profound life-changing impact on mine and others’ lives. Though painful, God will never abandon me and will carry me through it.

(Today’s OXYGEN by Jean Nathalia)
__________________

Prayer: Jesus, I do not want to suffer in life. But by avoiding it, I am already suffering a life plagued by worries. I want to embrace my life with grace and dignity. I pray for the grace to accept all future sufferings that will come my way. Give me acceptance and hope in the fruits that will be born from these sufferings.

Thanksgiving: Thank you Mother Mary for considering me worthy for you to suffer for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment