Friday 22 January 2016

What is My Time?

by Elizabeth Etta

What is my time?
There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace
He has made everything beautiful in its time.
ECCLESIASTES 3: 1-11



I came upon this scripture verse in my bible reflection time a week ago and went about trying  to understand why God led me to this verse and what He was trying to say in my life?

Life as we know it is always in season. There are times when we are happy, sad, fearful, conflicted, angry and other varying emotions depending on the circumstances we find ourselves in. If a situation is often difficult or unexpected, we find ourselves wondering where God is in those moments.

Ecclesiastes mentions a season. God allows seasons in our lives to achieve a greater purpose than we can imagine. This chapter draws me to examine the current seasons of my life and how I choose to respond to the experiences in it.

The time of waiting

In the time of waiting it teaches patience. As I experience longing and loneliness, this waiting season encourages me to seek a deeper intimacy with Christ, the One who is the lover of my soul. I also have a greater opportunity to fellowship with others and dedicate my time to doing what God has called me to do. So in my season of waiting, Lord, let it bring glory to You.

The time to build

God has put plans in my heart through the talent He has blessed me with to use to build His kingdom on earth. Lord, let me take on the challenge to build Your kingdom as You see fit.

A time to embrace


This season sees doors opening for me, and I am called to embrace the opportunities that God presents in front of me.


A time to laugh and dance

The past year till now, there has been a lot to celebrate. Nothing significant has happened to cause me grief. I feel like I am living in a state of grace where there are more things to laugh about. I have a great family and friends. In fact, I am thinking of doing more dancing this year.

A time to speak

Its my time to speak. Ive had my season of silence, but this year I feel that I am called to use my voice for a greater calling. To speak truth in the lives of others. To speak truth in the lives of my family and members of my church.

A time to Love

I am called to a greater love. One that is self-giving like Christ. To love even when I feel unappreciated. To love even when I feel unloved. In this time to love, I find that the areas in which God pointed out I needed to exercise love is by being;
*  Less critical of others
*  Not compromising in confusing lust with love
*  Less selfish or taking those who love me for granted in the way I treat them or make them feel.



Its sometimes difficult to see the bigger picture when you find yourself in an unexpected season. Perhaps your season looks a lot different to mine. Ecclesiastes reminds us that God is aware of the seasons we are in. We are placed in those seasons for a reason to discover our purpose, to live a richer life. In all seasons of your life, let God in. It is the only way to experience beauty in your season. It takes the difficult seasons in life to fully appreciate the beauty of a fruitful season. Whatever season you are in, be it good or bad remember that God is in control. He has made and will make everything beautiful in His time.




No comments:

Post a Comment