Friday 29 January 2016

A scripture to reflect on

Written by Elizabeth Etta:

This past week, I have been reflecting on the words of scripture

Luke 4:18-21

The spirit of the lord has been given to me
for he has anointed me
He has sent me to bring good news to the poor
TO proclaim liberty to captives
And to the blind new sight
to set the downtrodden free
and to proclaim the Lords year of favour

He then rolled up the scroll gave it back to the assistant and sat down. And to all eyes in the synagogue were fixed on him. Then he began to speak to them. This text is being filled today even as you listen

 Acts 1:8


You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you and you will be my witnesses

Jesus was filled with the power of the holy spirit when he made this bold proclamation about his purpose before all the people in the synagogue. In order to realise what Gods purpose for our life is, we need the holy spirit. In Acts 1:8 the Holy Spirit was promised and then given and today like Christ, we now have received the power of the holy spirit to be his witnesses.

Our mission as spirit filled christian is to reveal God to others.

How we may ask? It can start by telling them about the good news. We are not to shy away from telling others about the saving power of Jesus Christ. Are there people in your life that you know will benefit from knowing Christ? Why not get to know them more and share the amazing knowledge that you have of the gospel with them.

We have the power to heal others through our words and by our actions. This could include outreach programs, alms giving, pastoral work etc.

The bible says that Gods word are spirit and life. When I read the words, the text is being fulfilled today as you listen.

It made me realise that the will of God for us is to have an abundant life here. A great life is possible as long as we trust in Gods words for us his children. When we trust God, even when things are not going as we or others think they should. We still have the confidence in knowing that our father will work to perfect us and bring every situation for the greater good of us and others.

The words of scripture that stood out to me was to proclaim the Lords year of favour.

In that statement, I see Gods promises of abundant kindness and grace for me this year. I boldly claim these year as a year of favour. His ability to help me fulfil the desires that he has put in my heart. One of the difficulties of trying to live according to Gods will is that you face opposition, disbelief, your own inner fears and doubt.

Despite the challenges, I feel I am beginning to identify more with Christ. As much as I would want to refuse any responsibility for my own personal reasons, I am reminded that God will grant me the graces I need. Gods year of favour is my opportunity to take on the challenges in order to grow in spirit and draw closer to him. I see it as Gods way of reaching out to others, through me if only I accept my cross and follow him so that in the end he is glorified.

The question, I put out to you now is; What context does the scripture apply to you today? How is it being fulfilled in your life; Are you letting God work through you?

Prayer

Lord we have received your Holy Spirit through our baptism, through declaration of our faith and through the hearing of your word. Help us to activate those gifts that we have received, in order that it may lead to the salvation of our souls and those of others for that is your will.


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment