Wednesday 5 March 2014

Purpose Driven Life – Day 1: It All Starts with God

By Pat Pagulayan

"It’s not about you.”

Boom. That is the very first line of the first paragraph of the first chapter for the first day of this 40-day spiritual journey. And oh man, did it hit me hard.

Because I know I am selfish, self-centred, egoistic, or whatever you may call it. It is the sin of the flesh that haunts me and makes me question the motive of every single thing I do - yes, even ministry. Am I really doing it for God? Or am I doing it for myself? It sends shivers down my spine, even to admit that I have these questions in my head. I can only hope in the Lord that He is continually changing my heart so that I may decrease for Him and for others to increase.

I have never seriously thought about what my purpose in this world is. Primarily because I have just been focused on ME: to get a good job, be married by 27, provide grandchildren to my parents, retire early, and live comfortably. All about self.

Until I came to a point where I had that job, I had the perfect boyfriend, I was living comfortably. Everything seemed perfect and on track! But I didn’t have God, and without Him in one’s life, things will crumble, as I eventually and painfully realised.

And so the self-centred me resorted to self-help books (mind you, I bought 4 “rule” books in one go). But as a great man of God made me realise, the ultimate rule book is God’s Rule Book, the Owner’s Manual, the BIBLE. And so my journey began. A journey of self-awareness, self-denial, and just being transformed by God to be the woman He intended me to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment