Sunday 6 July 2014

My First Refugee Visit


By Jeremy Pierce


Unlike a “Holy Spirit” retreat or “STAY” where I go with an intention of receiving something, like being filled with the Holy Spirit, learning more about my faith and having the opportunity to learn from others. (* If you were thinking I go for tea, coffee, or snacks  NJ !)

The friends of refugees visit for me was an opportunity to give back and get involved, to do something for our community.

On arrival at our first house, I was astonished to meet with someone who had a friend move in with him. His friend brought along all the essentials for their home. He was polite, grateful and expressed such heartfelt thanks for all the support he received, said that he didn’t need anything and urged us to continue to help those less fortunate.

This set the atmosphere, which resonated with all the subsequent visits encountering one person after the next, full of cheer, gratefulness and love. People who have left their families, loved ones and everything that they are familiar with, seeking a safe environment to bring their families to. At one of the houses we met people who were eager to assist FORM as they spoke 5-6 languages, it's unfathomable to me who only speak one and has been afforded so many opportunities.

I find myself in the autumn winter of my life and saw myself Friday night scrolling through my phone book looking for someone to go to coffee with, someone who I could talk to and have a laugh with. This is after sitting at home for one week.

Can you imagine refugees being in detention centres for 5 plus years, now in Melbourne and still not afforded the right to work, there are so many obstacles that they face, one would imagine that they would be negative and despondent.

I saw only love, joy, and a longing to connect with someone.

I urge everyone to step out of their comfort zone and make a difference in their community, let's change someone’s season from winter to spring, share the light we have in our lives, let's fill someone’s cup, touch someone less fortunate. 


John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.


1 comment:

  1. Such a heartfelt reflection Jeremy! It is amazing how, in this opportunity that you took to "give back", you ended up receiving more.=) You will do wonderful things through God in this ministry. God bless.=)

    ReplyDelete