Friday 12 February 2016

Lent Reflections Day 1 & 2

Written by Elizabeth Etta:

Day 1
First reading: Joel 2:12-18
Second reading: 2 Corinthians 5:20-6:2
Psalm 51
Gospel: Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

In Joel it says; return to the Lord your God for he is gracious and merciful;  slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.

Look at where you are now and think of the things that are holding you back from giving your heart to God completely. What is the sin? At this start of lent, examine your heart and approach his throne of mercy. Repent wholeheartedly and see if your circumstances will not change and God himself will not bless you. Humble yourself before God. If there is someone you have not spoken to in a while. Call them, have a chat let them know you care.

Isn't it good to know that God is sovereign. In Mt 6, he warns us to examine the conditions of hearts. To seek his reward and not that of man. Whatever good deed you do, lift it to God in prayer. Even when you feel unappreciated, or your attempts at good works go unnoticed, God sees the intentions of your heart. Be diligent in the things you do and he himself will reward you.

Prayer: Lord, I offer up my fast today as a sign of my repentance and desire to seek you more wholeheartedly.  Amen


Day 2
First reading: Deuteronomy 30: 15-20
Psalm 1:1-4; 6
Gospel: Luke 9:22-25:

In Deuteronomy it says; "By loving God, heeding his voice and holding fast to him will mean life for you.

Psalm 1:2: The law of the Lord is their Joy. God's law they study day and night.
The lord watches over the way of the just but the way of the wicked leads to ruin

Finally in the gospel, the part that speaks to me is when Jesus says "If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

The scriptures of today speak of the fact that for anyone who calls himself a Christian must be in tune with the spirit. We must open our hearts and ears to hear what it is God wants from us. Not only that God does not promise that the tasks he has called us to would be easy. Unforgiveness is not easy to let go of, Pride is not easy to let go of, Wealth is not easy to let go of. There are so many things that we are still holding on to. Yet this is another reminder that we must deny ourselves of the things that give us pleasure in order to follow Christ. We are warned already that it would not be easy. Why then should we still follow him? Why should we take on the cross. Dear Friends, the answer is simple, God did it first. The bible says that he loved the world so much that he gave of himself. He came as Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins. An unjust suffering one may call it. It was the only way to defeat death and pay ransome for our sins. It was the ultimate act of love. So think of it this way. Every time, we carry our daily crosses difficult as they may be. By surrendering to the will of God, we are also lifting up others to the love and mercy of God. We are walking in the example of Christ. We are cleansing not just our spirits but those of others as well. Through reading scriptures, we are encouraged to obey the commandments of the Lord that we will be blessed.

Lent is a perfect season to journey with christ and join our suffering with his.
Lent allows us to lift our struggles and burdens to the one who has experienced it all.

Prayer: Lord I offer my fast today as a willingness to carry my cross. Lord I open my heart to let you show me ways in which I am failing and to rely on you to lift me up each time. This way I will trust and depend on you. Lord I offer my fast today that I may grow in humility and strength knowing that this is what you expect of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment