Saturday 13 February 2016

Lent Reflections Day 3 & 4

Day 3
First reading: Isaiah 58: 1-9
Psalm 51
Gospel: Matthew 9:14-15

Isaiah speaks about the fasting that God demands.
We know that the season of Lent is a period of fasting and abstinence. 

So why are you fasting? In what way will this draw you to God?. In Isaiah God outlines what kind of fasting he requires. It involves sharing what we have with others. It is all about doing good to others in ways that you are able to. With this kind of fasting comes a promise. God will increase his blessings and healing and we can be certain of his mercy.

Personally, why am I fasting.
I chose to fast this lent, from the things that I felt were a hindrance in my faith journey. To gain freedom from the bad habits and addictions that I had developed over the years and to trust that God can help me overcome them.

I am fasting also because, I am asking God to help me in a project this coming month that I feel I need help with and that it is only by his strength in me that things can happen.

By fasting we are choosing to look up to God for our sustenance.

Prayer
Dear Lord, I offer my fast asking to uphold my plans. Trusting that you would take care of them. That my actions are led by your spirit and inspired by your word. I pray for all my those who are holding a fast as well to break away from various addictions, or those who hope to seek you in this time that they may find you.

Day 4
First reading: Isaiah 58: 9-14
Psalm 86: 1-6
Gospel: Luke 5: 27-32;

"I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance" Lk 5: 32

This past week, I am reminded everyday of my daily struggles. What this season is doing is highlighting those areas of  my life that I really need to work on. I am encouraged that God sees it all and he is not here for the righteous but the sinner like me. Every time I fail, God is there helping me to overcome my struggles. Why? Because he is good, gracious and merciful.

When God is calling you to repentance, What must you do?

In the gospel, Jesus call Levi a sinner who leaves everything and follows him. We must also respond to the call and follow him.

Prayer
Dear Lord, I offer my fast asking to give me the courage to be able to leave everything behind and follow you. Help me to show mercy to others the same way you show mercy to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment