Tuesday 23 February 2016

Reflections on Matthew 5:43-44

"You have heard that it was said, `You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'  44But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 

Recently, I felt betrayed by someone that I trusted. We had formed closed ties and I held certain expectations about this person. The thing about me is that I trust people and their words. You may ask why? Well it is because I have always felt that how I treat others is how they should treat me. Also, when I give someone my word I often keep it. So for me, though it shouldn't, it still comes as a surprise when someone I trust breaks that trust.

So despite relying on this certain person, in a split second things changed. What was once in equilibrium seemed out of balance. I felt betrayed and hurt. There was also a feeling of disappointment and soon I recognised that my emotions started to hold bitterness towards that person. My reaction was to isolate that person from my life. Why? Well i'm human and incidents like this makes you wonder if you have any real friends or if there is anyone you would ever trust. It starts to hold true that sometimes strangers are better than friends, atheists are better than christians? I made the decision to remove myself from that individual and take certain action that would perhaps show that I really was angry by their actions.

In reading this scripture, I gained clarity on what loving your enemies was. This person was not an enemy but sometimes friendships can turn sour and strong ties broken. It made me reflect on the situation and by God speaking through his word, I no longer harboured feelings of anger and resentment. Instead, I offered up a prayer for that friend letting him know that I forgive that person. I asked God to help them find themselves, to help them find healing and peace that only he can give. Surprisingly this gave me a sense of peace and assurance of God's forgiveness for my own wrongs and mistakes. As difficult a step that was, my burden suddenly seemed lighter. One less load to carry, I could return to focus on the things in my life that mattered. I know now that despite how difficult it was, I realised before God, I had just redeemed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment